Skip to main content

James Clyde and the Diamonds of Orchestra by Colm McElwain


Mr. McElwain sent this to me to give him my opinion, both as a teacher of young kids and as an avid reader myself who loves fantasy. Here are my thoughts both as a personal reader and as a teacher.

Personal Opinion:
I really liked this series on a personal level as it kept me engaged and was a fun, quick read despite the book being over 200 pages. There were parts that I thought could use a little more development and detail but I also understand that this book was written for middle school kids, not adults. It most areas of the story, I enjoyed seeing what the characters would do and react as children. One of the issues I did have with the book was the fact that James trusted people right away, even without knowing them. It was like he already knew who was good and bad yet how he knew they were good or bad was never explained. Another thing as an adult reader that I would have liked to see is the pace of the story slow down a bit and add more detail and development. The story was pushed from one action to the next with little development or transition. But as I said before, this book was written for kids and not adults and this writing style is good for young readers. Overall though, I really enjoyed the story and would love to read a sequel if it becomes available as the story is perfectly set up for a sequel. Despite being a story for middle schoolers, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and would love to know what happens next.

Teacher Opinion:
As a teacher, this is definitely a book I would recommend to students as it is fast paced and engaging enough to keep their interest. Chapters are short which make it easy for students to put down the book and pick it back up again easily. There is a lot of action and adventure in the story, which can keep kids interested whereas a lot of extra details or development that adults enjoy would slow down the book and make it more boring to the age group this story is written for. The children in the story are very realistic in most ways which will help young readers relate to them, even though the story is a fantasy. The only parts that I thought were not very realistic was the quick way James took the appropriate action in certain situations where I believe a real kid would falter a bit. Though even then, James does not always make the correct choices and it gets him in trouble quite a bit. At the same time, I recognize that the author used these as a way to drive the plot forward and lead to the next actions. Overall, I would say that middle school kids (and really all ages who are at least at this reading level) could enjoy this story and like me will probably hope to see a sequel come out in the future.

I really enjoyed reading this book and was happy that the author gave me the change to share my opinion on it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Scarlet Alchemist by Kylie Lee Baker

  I received an ARC of this book.  I originally noticed it because of it's beautiful cover, which led me to read the description and request the ARC. When Dreams Aren't What You Expect Them To Be The Scarlet Alchemist is a fantasy that is set in a China like world when alchemy is real.  You get a taste of Chinese culture in a fantasy setting.  Zilan dreams of becoming a royal alchemist to help her family beat poverty.  She fights her way up to achieve her dream, only supported by her cousins and a powerless prince, as everyone one else tries to continuously tear her down. Only for reality to come crashing down on her hard.  Without spoiling the story, it's a page turner where you simultanously root for Zilan, want her to save the world, while totally understanding both the good and bad choices she makes to survive.  It's an interesting fantasy that really plays on the readers' emotions as Zilan faces many moral choices that determine who she becomes. I...

The Fowl Twins by Eoin Colfer

So first off, I have to say that I was really excited when I got the opportunity to review this book as I am a huge fan of the original Artemis Fowl series and have read all the main books in the series, at least the ones that I know about. https://www.amazon.com/Fowl-Twins-Artemis/dp/1368052568/ The Fowl Twins, by Eoin Colfer, is the sequel to the Artemis Fowl series and follows Artemis' two younger brothers, Myles and Beckett, who as you might have guessed are twins.  Myles takes after Artemis as a child genius and is often competing against Artemis, trying to out smart him.  Beckett is more hands on and seems simple, but in really is anything but simple.  The twins are nothing alike, but the differences work to make an excellent balance that helps them push forward. Without spoiling too much, Myles and Beckett, along with a toy troll, are kidnapped and have to escape with the help of a non-magical blue pixel named Lazuli.  Together, the weird becomes normal, and e...

Himalayan Salt Rock Lamp from SUNNEST Review

Hey all! Here is the next review on my agenda. This Himalayan Salt Rock Lamp is curtesy of SUNNEST. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0752H49TM/ About the Seller: The seller was very prompt in sending the package and it arrived on time. The Himalayan Salt Rock arrived slightly damaged. I contacted the seller and she immediately offered to send me a new one. Great customer service. About the Product: The Himalayan Salt Rock Lamp is a cool addition to my household and joins the rest of my eclectic items. My fiancĂ© immediately commented on it when he saw the box, telling me it was awesome and he couldn’t wait to place it in the apartment. The box arrived destroyed (whether due to seller or mail delivery, it is unclear) and the on/off dial was damaged. The seller immediately offered to replace it but I told her not to because it still works. The on/off dial controls how bright the lamp and is fully adjustable to create some mood lighting. I actually swiped my finger across it and ...